Treatment of Prisoners

A forum for discussion about political events or events which caused major future political events.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Treatment of Prisoners

Post by appleton » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:57 am

[quote=DodgeFB]
[quote=matt]
I agree.. they are important laws but some are (well the ones here) a tad ridiculous. We should not be giving away all our freedom's (which the terrorists love to see). Another thing.. if a person really is brainwashed enough to blow up a plane and kill thousands of people nothing will get him to reveal everything he has been plotting.

I'm not all with U.S politics so I am not getting the point entirely.
[/quote]

It seems we have not been treating our war prisoners by the book. Some say we do things like put them on their back with plastic over their face. Then run water over them which makes them feel like they are drowning . And I guess some things we will never know for sure.

Our congress says if we start reading the rules "our way" it will cause the other side to read them "their" way. Which means they may take it out on any of our people they capture. :(
[/quote]

Yeh, I guess it could get some to reveal all but there is always a danger with this method. If it traps innocents then it would be a bit of a problem :?

Although torture has worked before in terrorist cases the most famous here in the U.K being Guy Fawkes. After stretching him on the rack for a few hours he eventually revealed all about the plot and the others involved. They we all caught - some were killed in a gun battle.

I expect to see this debate continue if future because it's quite a serious one. If a terror suspect has been arrested and knows details of a future attack but won't reveal them it could be putting many lives at risk. Unnecessarily in my opinion.

Matt :)
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:28 pm

[quote=matt]
[quote=DodgeFB]
[quote=matt]
I agree.. they are important laws but some are (well the ones here) a tad ridiculous. We should not be giving away all our freedom's (which the terrorists love to see). Another thing.. if a person really is brainwashed enough to blow up a plane and kill thousands of people nothing will get him to reveal everything he has been plotting.

I'm not all with U.S politics so I am not getting the point entirely.
[/quote]

It seems we have not been treating our war prisoners by the book. Some say we do things like put them on their back with plastic over their face. Then run water over them which makes them feel like they are drowning . And I guess some things we will never know for sure.

Our congress says if we start reading the rules "our way" it will cause the other side to read them "their" way. Which means they may take it out on any of our people they capture. :(
[/quote]

Yeh, I guess it could get some to reveal all but there is always a danger with this method. If it traps innocents then it would be a bit of a problem :?

Although torture has worked before in terrorist cases the most famous here in the U.K being Guy Fawkes. After stretching him on the rack for a few hours he eventually revealed all about the plot and the others involved. They we all caught - some were killed in a gun battle.

I expect to see this debate continue if future because it's quite a serious one. If a terror suspect has been arrested and knows details of a future attack but won't reveal them it could be putting many lives at risk. Unnecessarily in my opinion.

Matt :)
[/quote]

I agree with you there. I sure hope they don't capture some of our guys and torture them extra rough as some kind of payback. Here we have some who say "We must be better than they are or we will be just as bad." Then there are the ones saying " they have no rules so we have to fight fire with fire.":?
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

KDSM
Political Stand:

Post by KDSM » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:37 pm

Fight to win
waterboarding is effective and should be used.
If your not going to fight a war to win......then dont bother starting it.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:58 pm

I sure hope they don't capture some of our guys and torture them extra rough as some kind of payback.
That seems pretty unavoidable and it's happening already. In June two U.S solider went missing for about a week. Later found decapitated and with limbs missing. This is just what's to be expected of war :( .

:sign0015:
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

KDSM
Political Stand:

Post by KDSM » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:13 pm

I sure hope they don't capture some of our guys and torture them extra rough as some kind of payback.
what? you mean like decapitation, being skinned alive?
they already do that
If your not going to fight a war to win......then dont bother starting it.

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:48 pm

[quote=DodgeFB]
I agree with you there. I sure hope they don't capture some of our guys and torture them extra rough as some kind of payback. Here we have some who say "We must be better than they are or we will be just as bad." Then there are the ones saying " they have no rules so we have to fight fire with fire.":?
[/quote]

Islamic rules of warfare state that a prisoner of war must not be tortured and must be treated fairly. Even to the point of being fed from the same plate as their captors. Traditionally that would have been taken literally since Arabs usually eat from one large plate rather than separate servings. The Prophet Muhammed(saw) went as far as teaching prisoners Arabic and showing them kindness as a way of an introduction to Islam. Many of his prisoners left as Muslims and gave up trying to fight.
However, some of these groups do not follow Islamic rules of warfare. In particular the shia militias in Iraq(Government controlled forces) who appear to take delight in torturing and beheading their prisoners. The situation is getting more complex there as days go by. I pray the suffering ends and the healing begins sooner rather than later.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:27 pm

[quote=jafar00]
[quote=DodgeFB]
[/quote]

Islamic rules of warfare state that a prisoner of war must not be tortured and must be treated fairly. Even to the point of being fed from the same plate as their captors. Traditionally that would have been taken literally since Arabs usually eat from one large plate rather than separate servings. The Prophet Muhammed(saw) went as far as teaching prisoners Arabic and showing them kindness as a way of an introduction to Islam. Many of his prisoners left as Muslims and gave up trying to fight.
However, some of these groups do not follow Islamic rules of warfare. In particular the shia militias in Iraq(Government controlled forces) who appear to take delight in torturing and beheading their prisoners. The situation is getting more complex there as days go by. I pray the suffering ends and the healing begins sooner rather than later.
[/quote]
And every time someone breaks the rules from either side it makes the other group feel they have the right to break the rules too. And it is getting worse all the time. I wish there was a way to stop it all for a while and let things cool off for a bit. I don't think any group there is showing their best side to the world. I am feeling old. I need to see something good before I go.Image

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:21 am

[quote=DodgeFB]
And every time someone breaks the rules from either side it makes the other group feel they have the right to break the rules too.
[/quote]

Well said. Rules of warfare are there to protect civilians and non comabatants. War should be between opposing armys/"insurgents". The general population who usually want to get out of the way should be out of the sights of the gun.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:40 am

The sad thing is for Iraq is that there isn't anywhere where there isn't fighting and people need to get on with their lives. If they don't work they don't eat.
Last edited by Lad on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:47 pm

jafar00 I have a serious question for you. Without going into buzz words like occupation,infidel, or terrorist. Do you think there is anyway for the people in Iraq or Afghanistan to see that the sooner things settle down the sooner we can get the US soldiers the heck out of there. I don't think our soldiers want to be there. And most Americans don't want them there. President Bush uses each and every battle and/or death to justify keeping the US boots on the ground. He has a couple of years left to serve. I would like to see us out of Iraq before then, (I know it is wishful thinking.) No chance things will settle down enough for an old man to ever go there on vacation. There are some historical sites I would have liked to visit someday. But I will be dead before things change enough for me to ever be welcome there.

Peace to all the world! :sign0089:
Last edited by DodgeFB on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.