Re:Dodge's post - prisoner treatment

A forum for discussion about political events or events which caused major future political events.
Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Re:Dodge's post - prisoner treatment

Post by Lad » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:07 pm

Well I saw on the news today that the first UK soldier has admitted to abusing Iraqis. This is very sad.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5363320.stm
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Dodge's post - prisoner treatment

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:01 pm

[quote=Lad]
Well I saw on the news today that the first UK soldier has admitted to abusing Iraqis. This is very sad.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5363320.stm
[/quote]

Sad and stupid in my opinion. And why do they tape themselves doing these things. Our dumb guys took pictures too! I do not believe soldiers from UK or US leave home intending to do these things. Oh there may be a creepy one in any group. But something happens between home and the battle that makes them feel this is ok and that others will tolerate it. As I said this is just my opinion. :(
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Re:Dodge's post - prisoner treatment

Post by appleton » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Just gives the extremists other excuse to bomb the c+p out of us again :( ..

They really need to think before they do things. They are letting themselves and the country down.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:39 pm

[quote=matt]
They are letting themselves and the country down.
[/quote]
Indeed they are. In modern warfare, our troops have tended to have a fairly good reputation. Too bad these individuals (and I'm sure there are not many of them) are spoiling it. Reminds me of Vietnam, though. The US soldiers there did some appalling things, but it became a personal war - revenge for murdered comrades, etc. Maybe Iraq is similar in that respect.

As for the car-bombers & co., they need no excuse. This kind of people need to learn basic civilised ways of life; if you've got any sense or logic at all, you simply don't blow up scores of your own people to kill/maim a coalition soldier.
Last edited by Lass on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:11 pm

That's a point. Why on earth do they film themselves? One thing abusing Iraqis, but leaving the evidence on video? Well criminals are usually stupid I guess.

Phidippides
Political Stand:

Post by Phidippides » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:58 pm

[quote=Lad]
That's a point. Why on earth do they film themselves? One thing abusing Iraqis, but leaving the evidence on video? Well criminals are usually stupid I guess.
[/quote]

I think these individuals are not that bright to begin with.

Here's the difference between the "us" and "them", however; when our guys torture or abuse prisoners, they get a hearing and are punished. When they torture or abuse prisoners, do they get brought to justice?

We are not perfect, but we trust that justice does, in the end, prevail.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:16 pm

[quote=Phidippides]
[quote=Lad]
[/quote]

I think these individuals are not that bright to begin with.

Here's the difference between the "us" and "them", however; when our guys torture or abuse prisoners, they get a hearing and are punished. When they torture or abuse prisoners, do they get brought to justice?

We are not perfect, but we trust that justice does, in the end, prevail.
[/quote]

It seems like they pick one or two low ranking people to punish. I think if a few Generals lost some stars it would bring it almost to a halt.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:29 pm

The Generals are crucial to the sucess of the fight. The mere lowly soldier is simply a tool to them. Most of them are very wealthy middle class sorts that were destined to be that high up. Well this is for the UK. Some of the ordinary soldiers are tough, rough men that perhaps couldn't get a job or perhaps even like killing people. The army is not a place for weaklings and men who are not much better than criminals do join up. So it shouldn't be a surprise if the odd crime is committed by a few. Of course most our soldiers are worthy men and have nothing to do with this gross behaviour.

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:23 am

True, men not far above the level of wrongdoers themselves do join up occasionally, but the fighting forces of the USA and I'm sure the UK are not that way in general at all. Hollywood seems to like emphasizing that men who join the army are bummed, workless folks who have no better option and whose life doesn't mean that much to them anyway; that's not the way it is in actuality. Most recruits have much to lose by taking that risk and make a great sacrifice of their honor when they are smeared with the actions of these base men who happen to wear the bars of the fighting forces.
Last edited by Luke on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:56 pm

Yep, true. I am convinced that the majority of both US and UK troops are not the sort that would do this kind of thing. On the other hand, the best of people can do surprisingly shocking things when pushed far enough; maybe that's the case with some of these soldiers - not the ones that film it, mind you. That kind of shameless cruelty can't be put down to frayed nerves or tempers.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]